April 22, 2009

Wow! We have an earth day too!

Manu sure thinks I have a thing for meteorology. He talks to me about March Equinox and I am blinking. No no! I am not talking about snow-blink or ice-blink. A bit of googling and I realise Equinox and Solstice mark the change of seasons. On a side note, auto correct tells me there is no such word as googling and suggests me to 'go ogling'. I just need that motivation. :)

Whoever googled yesterday would have known that it was Earth day. Surprisingly I hadn't and realised it only after Manu told. Later I spotted this email from WWF India in the spam folder asking to switch off the lights once again.


Wikipedia suggested there are two earth days. A lot of sites talk about March 20 (as per United Nations) as the 'authentic' earth day. We have an earth hour, two earth days. Are we not simply overdoing it?

Searching for news on earth day, I came across this site on earth day crafts using recycled materials. Check this out. http://crafts.kaboose.com/. See what you can make out of an egg shell. Isn't it just adorable?



It is really interesting, specially if you have kids at home, you can make their holidays more worthwhile. If you create an awareness in them now, we will have an eco-friendly generation for whom each day will be an earth day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everyday is EARTH day,if it were a 9.9 hour day it would be Jupiter day wouldn't it!
You are pretty much a green citizen with your electric car.
Its about time we started being eco friendly in all aspects because in the next 50 years millions of people are going to be affected by calamities caused by the rising sea level.
This isn't the eleventh hour any more its 11:59

The Earth hour thing is really a joke, with the IPL at 8pm.

BTW,did you get the photo invite that I sent,forgot to confirm your ID(minu.nair or minurnair).

Minu said...

Hi Saju

Nice to see you here. I totally agree with you. Every day is an earth day as long as we are on earth ;) I got the invite and quickly browsed through all the pics. We will get to see all people on the 15th. See you soon.

-Minu